build up your chess 2 - Yusupov
Yusupov's 9-part series, Boost your chess, Build up your chess and Evolution series is the 2009 winner of the Boleslavsky Medal from FIDE (the World Chess Federation) as the best instructional chess books in the world (ahead of Garry Kasparov and Mark Dvoretsky in 2nd and 3rd place).
This second book in the Build up your Chess series builds on the solid foundation of the first and guides the reader towards a higher level of understanding using carefully selected positions and advice. This new understanding is then tested by a series of puzzles.
The covered subjects include:
- Mating combinations
- General endgame principles
- Combinations involving the back rank
- General opening principles
- The double attack
- Good and bad bishops
- Candidate moves
- The centre
- The pin and the discovered attack
- The Greek gift sacrifice
- Evaluating the position
- Planning in chess
- An opening repertoire for White after 1.e4 e5
- Destroying the castled position
- An opening repertoire against 1.e4
- Priorities when calculating variations
- Pawn endings 1
- Time in the opening
- Improving the position of your pieces
- Pawn endings 2
Who should read this book?
This book comes highly recommended for players with a rating of between 1300 and 1700.
The book forms part of a 9-part series that covers (1) the fundamentals, (2) beyond the basics and (3) mastery. For players with ratings between 1300 and 1700 the series offers:
- Build up your chess 2
- Boost your chess 2
- Evolution 2